How does a place in the middle of nowhere effectively put itself on the map? Find out by watching this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/rpuZ2bDSCQw Please comment on the YouTube channel page below this video. Takk saa mycket!
“The Vacation Rental Show with Matt Landau” features vacation rentals from around the world. The sixth episode is from Rio de Janiero: https://youtu.be/1zuN9wUpTtc Enjoy!
Today, as in centuries past, Swedes make and serve waffles during Our Lady’s Day, March 25. This festival marks nine months until Christmas Day, just as the long winter is breaking into warmer temperatures. Lindsborg holds its Våffeldagen on the Saturday nearest to March 25.
How did waffles get connected with the celebration of Our Lady’s Day? The story goes something like this: the Swedish word vårfrudagen or “Our Lady’s Day,” sounds similar to the Swedish word våffeldagen or “waffle day.” Over time this mispronounciation began to mark a new tradition with waffles, already a favored Swedish treat. Waffle Day also became a tradition across many European countries.
Lindsborg artist Carla Wilson launched Lindsborg Våffeldagen nine years ago by making waffle costumes out of crate bed foam that was spray-painted a golden brown with cotton muslin as whipped cream and colored felt as berries. Wilson invited two friends to wear the costumes with her and wave at passersby from the corner of Main and Lincoln Streets. The net year, one Lindsborg restaurant served hot waffles while the Waffle People roamed. Today Våffeldagen is known statewide for its spring spirit and good eating.
The Waffle People will be roaming downtown to hand out menus and to distribute complimentary waffle cookies, courtesy of Scott’s Hometown Foods, between 7 AM and 2 PM. Indulge in a wide variety of hot Våffeldagen waffles here:
- “The Waffle Vault” – a Svensk Hyllningsfest pop-up fundraiser sponsored by Rachel’s Pastries and the Kiwanis Club of Lindsborg, serving classic waffles with a toppings bar: 8 AM to 2 PM at First Bank Kansas at 118 N. Main
- Farley’s Bar and Grill – serving buttermilk waffles with fruit options, bacon waffles, pecan waffles, chocolate chip waffles and side of bacon or sausage: 11 AM to 4 PM at 101 N. Main
- The While Peacock – sugar coated waffles with strawberries and cream cheese, plus regular menu items and specialty drinks: 8 AM to 2 PM at 124 S. Main
- Blacksmith Coffee Shop and Roastery – hot waffles with maple whipped cream and bacon strips plus regular menu items and specialty drinks: 6 AM to 1 PM at 122 N. Main
- Courtyard Bakery – hot waffles with lingonberries with sour cream or with syrup and butter plus regular menu items: 9 AM to 1 PM at 125 N. Main
- Brickhouse Grill – special waffle fries plus regular grilled specialty menu items: 11 AM to 8 PM at 201 N. Harrison
- Scott’s Hometown Foods – nacho waffle fries plus regular deli selections and full line of Scandinavian foods: 11 M to 1 PM at 215 N. Harrison
- Öl Stuga – waffle shots plus regular sandwich selections: 11 AM to 2 PM at 119 S. Main
Våffeldagen is made possible by Pastries by Rachel, Scott’s Hometown Foods, Lindsborg Laundry, First Bank Kansas, Lindsborg Ad Hoc Roundtable, Kiwanis Club of Lindsborg, Svensk Hyllningsfest 2019, The Ivory Thimble, Small World Gallery, Lindsborg Restaurants and Waffle Lovers like you!
No, this isn’t a picture of the owner of Lindsborg Vacation Rentals. Maybe if he was younger and had a head full of hair! But where were we?
The owner was quoted in the Washington Post on February 21st. The newspaper’s weekly column by Christopher Elliott was about how some vacation rental owners charge extra for . . . what?? We have a cleaning fee, but are otherwise very transparent.
Some call Matt Landau a travel guru. Some call him an advocate for vacation rentals. At Lindsborg Vacation Rentals, we simply call him “Matt.”
Last year, Matt traveled the world, visiting vacation rental owners in their own locales. Bali. Budapest. Lisbon. Rio de Janiero. Montevideo, Uruguay. St. John, US Virgin Islands. Vancouver. Lindsborg, Kansas. Wait…what? It’s true!Every Thursday at 2 pm Eastern time, a new episode will be dropped onto Booking.com’s website The fun starts on February 28th. Hint: Lindsborg’s episode drops April 18th!
Enjoy the teaser!
Turnkey Vacation Rentals manages luxury properties along the East Coast, West Coast and some places in between….but not Kansas! However Lindsborg Vacation Rentals was quoted quite a few times in their recent post about managing multiple vacation rental properties. Here is a link: https://blog.turnkeyvr.com/manage-multiple-vacation-rental-properties/
There are plenty of “best of” lists out there. So Lindsborg is elated to be chosen as the best in Kansas on these three lists:
- The One Place You Should Visit in the Winter in Your State — you will ll have to scroll down to find Kansas
- Every State’s Best Attraction to See in 2019 — goes directly to Kansas
- America’s 50 Most Charming Small Towns — you may have to scroll through this site as well